Scroll down....

Please scroll down for lots of useful information. There are links to industry and environmental journals, relevant dates in the environmental and renewable energy calendar, current debates, a solar PV Feed-in Tariff calculator, green products websites, campaign groups and more. Some of this might be a bit outdated given time considerations and the fact that I don't get paid for doing this, but I do try and keep it as fresh and new as I can so it's still worth checking out.

Monday, 13 May 2013

Should climate charge deniers be arrested and charged?



Oh dear, 400 parts per million carbon dioxide. Another milestone on the road to idiocy George Monbiot argues in his latest Guardian blog. For me though it's another milestone on the road to me entering an almost permanent state of depression whenever I think about the climate. Are there any chances of turning things around? It seems increasingly unlikely, although I have to say I am not a defeatist and so I will gladly carry on until the bitter end if needs be, providing I am not too busy trying to fend off the food rioters banging on my door.

Seriously though, it would be at least a little comforting if we could talk sensibly about climate on national newspapers comments sections, but I read recently that the amount of "astroturfing" by climate trolls paid by huge oil corporations has grown to such an extent that George himself doesn't even bother to read the comments section on his own blog pieces. And to be honest who could blame him. I've recently tried to conduct a sensible discussion about wind turbines and climate change on a comments section on the Telegraph site. I don't know why I decided to do that really, perhaps a momentary attack of lunacy, for, as I should have guessed, it turned out to be a snake pit. One or two sensible comments but the rest were basically vehicles for the usual accusations of delusion, poor education, Eco-fascism, conspiracy and even a desire to inflict mass murder on the global population.

Once upon a time I hoped, while campaigning as an environmental activist twenty years ago, that we would have reached at least some level of consensus on what to do about climate change by now, but while the scientists have, the population in general don't seem to have done. In my view that's the fault of those same trolls who attack environmentalists on comments pages, continually sowing doubt and disagreement and in the most particularly aggressively vile fashion also. For that reason, and for the likely damage that climate change is going to inflict on global populations, and even is doing so now, part of me would relish the day when climate change deniers are arrested and brought up on criminal charges. Sadly I can't see that that's going to happen any day soon. Some people may be appalled by that admission, but I don't think I am the only one to argue for such things, and it's only the emotional side of me that believes that anyway, The rational side of me is quite prepared and willing to carry on pushing forward with article writing and climate talks, and meanwhile hoping that one day the climate deniers will see sense, I mean surely they have children too like most other normal people (except for me that is but that's another subject). Nevertheless, I can't see that arguing for criminal charges against climate deniers is any more serious than James Delingpole arguing that hanging is too good for climate scientists, and he is still writing for the Telegraph as far as I am aware, having not been sacked and having suffered, seemingly, the minimal amount of national outrage over his comments.

And so it goes on. 

So, what next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Energy & Environment Dates 2012